From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] USE_EXPAND variable to choose ALSA PCM plugins
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:41:32
Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> Not sure if anybody here knows, but alsa-plugins is not the only set of > plugins an user installs in its system, many others are installed by alsa-lib > itself, they are the basic plugins like dmix, dsnoop, iec958, plug... the > ones that many asoundrc already make use of. > > Now of course, most of the users need them, and disabling them would be pretty > bad, but again, there are reasons to disable some of them at least, > especially when targetting small embedded devices. > > If nobody has anything against this, I'll add an ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS variable > where users can choose the plugins they want built, to reduce the amount of > code installed by alsa-lib: > > Calculating dependencies... done! > [ebuild R ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.14_rc1 USE="-alisp -debug -doc -midi" > ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="-adpcm -alaw -asym -copy -dmix -dshare -dsnoop -empty -extplug -file -hooks > iec958 -ioplug -ladspa -lfloat -linear -meter -mulaw -multi -null > plug -rate -route -share -shm -softvol" 0 kB
Since I'm not very alsa litterate, on a "typical" system, what kind of plugins - other than dmix and dsnoop - are used by "typical" applications (totem, mplayer, amarok, ...)? If a user decides to remove some plugins, do "typical" applications handle this cleanly or do they crash and burn? Other than that, sounds like a neat idea :) Rémi -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list