From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Should portage tree CVS impose a commit moratorium during snapshot creation?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 13:02:47
1 On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > On 09/01/2013 13:37, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >> Translation: "We all know that there are lots of things that would be a
5 >> hell of a lot easier if we weren't the only project in the world still
6 >> using CVS, but the Git migration is never going to happen, so
7 >> mentioning it just makes everyone angry."
8 >
9 > No, since you don't seem to speak proper English I'll translate it properly:
10 >
11 > "I don't really give a fuck about the Git migration at this point
12 > because I have other things to care about, somebody else is taking care
13 > of it. On the other hand, I'm tired of half the threads on this bloody
14 > mailing list to end up discussing back-and-forth about the Git
15 > migration...
16
17 The problem with this logic is that the topic is still quite relevant
18 to Gentoo, and building more and more hacks into how we handle
19 packages to make up for the fact that we're not using git means that
20 there are going to be more and more hacks to undo when the time for
21 the switch actually comes.
22
23 It is really not productive to have 3 people working on switching to
24 git, and 10 people working on adding more blockers to the migration.
25 Logic that depends on cvs keywords in ebuilds should be considered
26 deprecated now. Logic that creates serial numbers that are going to
27 change in six months should be considered deprecated before it is
28 implemented (unless nobody cares that they're going to change).
29
30 > especially when half the people posting have no idea of
31 > what's going on, are not involved in the migration, or expect said
32 > migration to solve all the issues of the world, poverty included."
33
34 Well, they'll solve this particular set of issues, and therefore the
35 topic is quite relevant. Those who are knowledgeable are welcome to
36 reply - such replies will be more helpful than blanket "don't talk
37 about git" posts.
38
39 Rich