From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Copyright, non-US devs and Gentoo Foundation vs Gentoo (Was: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 01:25:47
1 Am Samstag, 3. März 2007 19:48 schrieb Thomas Rösner:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Danny van Dyk schrieb:
5 > > 2) There are countries who acutally adhere to the Berne Convention
6 > > (1886). This means even the deed of commiting sources with a
7 > > "Copyright (C) XXXX Gentoo Foundation" is useless in most countries
8 > > of the EU. E.g, *none* of the stuff that I ever commited to
9 > > Gentoo's repositories is copyrighted (solely) by the Gentoo
10 > > Foundation, due to me being German citizen and writing that stuff
11 > > in Germany. FYI, there isn't even something like Copyright in
12 > > Germany. We have an "Author's right" which agree with the Berne
13 > > Convention and deviates from copyright in several points.
14 >
15 > Except that you "giving away copyright" or "donating to public
16 > domain" is understood by (german) courts to give away usage rights,
17 > which is exactly what is intended, no?
18 That doesn't come down to the effects for the Gentoo Foundation:
19
20 Corporation Foo uses the Gentoo-x86 tree in violation of GPL. Foundation
21 tries to sue them, as they think they have the copyright. Corporation
22 Foo's lawyers say: Uh, you don't even have the copyright on all of
23 gentoo-x86. See the problem?
24
25 Danny
26 --
27 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
28 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list