From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] metadata.xml - emerge rsync
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:41:52
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'am just wondering about something. I've red here that emerge rsync
4 causes some bandwidth problems. Why don't use a general metadata.xml
5 file which contains all metadata about ebuilds.
6
7 This could be (sorry for the fast & dirty exemple):
8
9 <root>
10 <dev-python desc="Dev tools for python">
11 <somepackage desc="python tool for ...">
12
13 <pkgmetadata>[...]</pkgmetadata>
14
15 <herd>[...]</herd>
16
17 <ebuild>MyEbuild-v0.1-r1</ebuild>
18 <ebuild>MyEbuild-v0.1-r2</ebuild>
19 <ebuild stat="masked">MyEbuild-v0.1-r3</ebuild>
20 </somepackage>
21 </dev-python>
22 <other-category>
23 ...
24 </other-category>
25 </root>
26
27 This file could be automaintened with all metadata.xml, and ebuilds
28 present in repository.
29 Then, an emerge rsync would get a gzipped version of this file, gunzip
30 it, and make a diff with the local file.
31 It can remove old ebuilds, and fetch the new ones (maybe gzipped too !).
32
33 I hope I was clear, my english is not what it used to be :)
34
35 Philippe
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list