From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-dotnet/libgdiplus: ChangeLog libgdiplus-1.2.5-r1.ebuild
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 06:34:17
1 On Tuesday 25 September 2007, Peter Volkov wrote:
2 > В Пнд, 24/09/2007 в 12:56 -0700, Donnie Berkholz пишет:
3 > > > if use ppc ; then
4 > > > sed -i -e 's:-Werror::g' src/Makefile
5 > > > fi
6 > >
7 > > We should never leave -Werror in -- make this unconditional.
8 >
9 > "never" is too strong: for example, wireshark's upstream told me that
10 > they want code to be built with -Werror. If something breaks they are
11 > interested in report to fix that.
12
13 not really ... what builds today on $arch with $gcc_version is no guarantee
14 it'll work on any other $arch or $gcc_version (and considering the change of
15 warnings in gcc, this makes it likely)
16
17 -Werror makes sense in development code, but not releases (ever) ...
18 forcing -Werror just makes for annoyed users and that flag really should be
19 an "opt-in" thing (aka, put it in your CFLAGS)
20
21 this is exactly why the werror stuff in binutils has been disabled for pretty
22 much ever
23
24 then again, while i think it's pretty stupid, i'm not about to go around and
25 force people to remove it ...
26 -mike