From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help testing ebuilds? golang/Fabio load balancer
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:00:47
1 On 11/09/2017 11:08 PM, Damo Brisbane wrote:
2 > I've run up a couple of golang based ebuilds - for the fabio load
3 > balancer. My first run at it, not completely sure of any follow up
4 > process, mentor? other posting, overlap with existing work? Anyway,
5 > would appreciate the feedback.
6
7 Your $VERSION variable can probably be replaced with "${PV}" to save a line.
8
9 Your init script takes care of the permissions on /var/lib/fabio and
10 /var/log/fabio/fabio.log...
11
12 start_pre() {
13 checkpath -q -d -o ${FABIO_USER}:${FABIO_GROUP} ${FABIO_HOMEDIR}
14 checkpath -q -f -o ${FABIO_USER}:${FABIO_GROUP} ${FABIO_LOGFILE}
15 }
16
17 so the following in the ebuild might be redundant?
18
19 for x in /var/{lib,log}/${PN}; do
20 keepdir "${x}"
21 fowners fabio:fabio "${x}"
22 done
23
24 (warning: I have never understood what keepdir is supposed to
25 accomplish, so maybe I'm wrong here).
26
27 On the other hand, if you've created a dedicated user and group for the
28 daemon, I don't think there's much benefit to letting the end user
29 switch them via FABIO_USER and FABIO_GROUP (it just makes the
30 permissions harder to get right). That's a judgment call though.
31
32 Finally, if the stanza above *does* turn out to be redundant, then
33 there's another small improvement that can be made. Since the "fabio"
34 user and group are used nowhere else in the ebuild, you could create
35 them in pkg_preinst() instead of pkg_setup(). Doing that has one main
36 benefit -- namely that if the installation fails, the user and group
37 won't be created.
38
39 Overall, looks good.
40
41 For testing help, you'll probably have the best luck in #gentoo-user on
42 IRC. For ebuild reviews, we have a dedicated mailing list,
43 gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o and an associated IRC channel,
44 #gentoo-dev-help (yes, they're hyphenated differently...)