From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for a new project: gentoo-libs
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 23:53:05
1 On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 21:50:50 -0500
2 "Marty E. Plummer" <hanetzer@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > So, as you may be aware I've been doing some work on moving bzip2 to an
5 > autotools based build. Recently I've ran into app-crypt/mhash, which is
6 > in a semi-abandoned state (talking with the maintainer on twitter atm),
7 > and I was thinking it may be a good idea to set up a project for keeping
8 > these semi-abandoned and really-abandoned libraries and projects up to
9 > date and such.
10 >
11 > Basically, an upstream for packages who's upstream is either
12 > uncontactable or is otherwise not accepting bug fixes and patches. So
13 > far I can only think of app-crypt/mhash and app-arch/bzip2 but I'm sure
14 > there are others in this state.
15
16 It may be worth mentioning that myself and a handful of others are
17 kicking around the idea of creating a "vendorised upstream", which
18 essentially treats all upstreams as unmaintained, and acts as a middle
19 ground between upstream and linux distributions/end users, by
20 re-shipping upstreams code with fixes, in a format similar to
21 upstreams, but with the mentality of a Linux Vendor.
22
23 Changes to this project would of course be made under the assumption
24 that upstream would one day wake up, and may be interested in adopting
25 some or all of our fixes ( and for upstreams that are currently not
26 actually dead, this may happen sooner than later )
27
28 Presently, this is limited in scope to vendorizing CPAN, but it may
29 grow.
30
31 In concept, this is of course much more work than your idea, but it has
32 a few advantages, particularly with regards to integrating various
33 vendors patches in a single place.
34
35 But obviously, such a project is somewhat gargantuan, and getting the
36 working concept off the ground is going to take a while :)