From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] do not rely on internal variables used by portage functions
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 13:02:07
1 Mike Frysinger kirjoitti:
2 > On Saturday 31 March 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> we've noticed that many things in the tree abuse the fact that the portage
4 >> helpers utilize environment variables to communicate ... for example,
5 >> people setting DOCDESTTREE by hand rather than using `docinto`
6 >>
7 >> unless some one can give me a valid reason for this stuff, the plan is to
8 >> fix these ebuilds and change portage internals so those vars dont exist
9 >
10 > since no one can put forth a valid reason, i'm going to go ahead and start
11 > fixing things
12 > -mike
13
14 Probably the main reason why these where used was it was convenient. It
15 would probably be useful to document the solution of using sub shells
16 with insinto to the devmanual for example.
17
18 Regards,
19 Petteri