From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 21:42:13
1 On 4/25/19 5:23 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >>
3 >> What's wrong? You only need the effect of tmpfiles_process() if you're
4 >> running systemd or OpenRC. If the user is running SysV-init and if the
5 >> package also installs a SysV-init script, then that init script is going
6 >> to have to create any temporary directories it needs, because SysV-init
7 >> doesn't know anything about tmpfiles.
10 > This isn't about init scripts. This is about arbitrary directories that
11 > need to be created at runtime and potentially cleaned up or recreated
12 > after reboot, such as cache directories.
15 It's very much about init scripts. We have at least five service
16 managers in the tree,
17
18 * sys-apps/openrc
19 * sys-apps/systemd
20 * sys-apps/sysvinit
21 * sys-process/runit
22 * sys-process/daemontools(-encore)
23
24 And the only reason we would need a transient directory created and/or
25 cleaned-up is because one of those service managers is going to start a
26 program that needs it. Two of them can use the tmpfiles mechanism, but
27 the others must handle it on their own: in particular, they don't need
28 tmpfiles_process() to do anything.