From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] To the unhappy folks
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:14:04
1 Hi Everyone,
2
3 Crappy timing for me as I am on the verge of a 2 week hiatus. Anyway, I just wanted to kind of update everyone on what's happening. You've noticed I put out calls for watchers a few weeks ago (and even though the interviews/hires are taking time, we actually are doing it). And last weeks' GWN was a call for specific packages to be maintained. We know that things are backed up in the bugzilla queue at the moment -- I'm sorry that new packages are not making it through as fast as we'd all like. Unfortunately the backlog of actual bug-bugs is a little large for various reasons.
4
5 We're restructuring the developers into teams rather than individuals. That is to say, on for example a package like courier (seriously outdated as of right now), we have one primary maintainer, and he is offline for a while. That was bad planning on my part, mainly, and I do apologise to everyone. Anyway, the strategy is to have co-maintainers, primary/secondary/tertiary maintainers.
6
7 While I am gone for 2 weeks, the recruiters will be actively mailing people back, and the dev team will grow a little bit. If you have been keeping track of bugzilla you'll notice that several older bugs are being closed (php-bugs is back in action). Also, gentoo-stats and gentoo-stable will be moving servers. We are waiting for the server side code for gentoo-stats, and then the two sites will be bugzapped and maintained (and overhauled and united to one). When I'm back, and the gentoo-stats/stable devs have a formed a concrete vision of what they would like to achieve and how, I will have them post here.
8
9 Additionally, I would like you to email me or bugzilla me (so it doesn't get lost in my inbox) with ideas you might have. We are honestly, sincerely, earnestly trying to improve Gentoo constantly, and we only ask your patience for a short while longer. Upon my honour, the delays will start to disappear, and things will go back to functioning more like a well-oiled machine.
10
11 And to clear up a myth. The GWN folks are not -core folks. They are independent of the developers. What Kurt and the gang report to you about what happens on -core they do so independently. Whatever corrections any of us makes is usually in spelling. The GWN in fact, started for that very concern -- to keep the user community informed of what's happening in the developer community.
12
13 Anyway, I will hope to be contributing to this mailing list a LOT more when I return. (I'll be mainly offline till mid-May, and no, you can't have my phone number). But please let's communicate better and I will do my level best to try and make everyone happy.
14
15 Thanks for your time,
18 Seemant Kulleen
19 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
20 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~seemant
21
22 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
23 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E