From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 13:20:00
1 On 10 February 2016 at 02:14, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > Another concern, though, is it'd result in something similar. Instead
3 > of "cat/foo bar baz" and later removing 'baz', you'd have "cat/foo bar
4 > ~baz" (with '~baz' as 'enable this if you need to'). You'd still have
5 > cruft left in your p.use file, and it would achieve the same result as
6 > a well-commented file.
9 Granted you'd still have the cruft in your config files, but it would
10 become mostly-harmless cruft, not cruft that caused needless
11 dependencies to get pulled into the dependency tree as a side-effect.
12
13 And because it would be "only as needed", you could afford to use some
14 of those "only if needed" useflags in a more global manner.
15
16 For instance, I really don't want to globally define PYTHON_TARGETS to
17 include python2_7, because it will simply install a lot of extra
18 things I know I don't need.
19
20 But if I could globally define something to the effect of "anything
21 that wants python2.7 support can have it", then that's acceptable
22 globally, because the effect would still turn things on automatically
23 on a per-page level, not at a global level.
24
25 So you could achieve the same results with much less syntax and much
26 less effort.
29 Kent
30
31 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL