From: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@××××××××.net
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge no longer merges
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 12:31:05
1 > On Wednesday 04 December 2002 21:23, Avi Schwartz wrote:
2 >> Since yesterday, emerge no longer merges for me. If code archives
3 >> have to be downloaded they are and then the MD5 digest is checked but
4 >> nothing gets expanded/compiled/installed. There is no error message.
5 >>
6 >> I tried the emergency portage to see if it helps but it did not.
7 >>
8 >> Any idea what may cause this problem and how to fix it?
11 > How about your diskspace. And give us more information. At least a dump
12 > of the output of emerge, and the relevant part of /var/log/emerge.log
15 I am not sure if this is relewant to Schwartz trouble, but I have
16 emerge-trouble aswell.
17
18 1) How does one enable /var/log/emerge.log (there is no such file on my
19 system)
20 2) The problem
21
22 // emerge fails with this error:
23 /*
24 Traceback (most recent call last):
25 File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2, in ?
26 import os,sys,portage,xpak,string,re,commands,time,threading,shutil
27 File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/portage.py", line 84, in ?
28 starttime=int(time.time())
29 OverflowError: float too large to convert
30 */
31
32 My system is a P4 / 512MB RAM,
33 tried to make a new chroot yesterday with
34 stage3-i686_pentium4-1.4_rc1.tar.bz2
35 invoked emerge rsync; emerge -u world and went to sleep,
36 when I looked at the screen again now this error were back again.
37
38 The last thing that were emerge w/o any errormessage was
39 >>> sys-apps/less-378 merged.
40
41 I see there are a lot of conf-files that awaits update, so I will try and
42 update them and see if the trouble still is there.
43
44 Some background info aswell
45 I have the same trouble outside the chroot aswell. (Might be a
46 kernel-problem?) What happens is that emerge fails in different stages.
47 Some times it stops at once, other times it waits until somewhere in the
48 merge-process (I have a feeling that somehow emerge manage to register the
49 ebuild as installed, whereas it stops in the process just before copying
50 in the files. Have not looked at the code, and do not know if this even is
51 possible. My asumptation is based only on my observation that an "emerge
52 -u world" could be repeated and fewer and fewer packages to emerge, but
53 trying to use the installed packages, I can't find the binaries (except
54 for in /var/tmp/portage))
55
56 And well, there are still about 12GB of space left on my HD to work on (
57 as for now the chroot is on one partition, with that space left.)
58
59 I really should open a bug on this, unless it isn't yet. I'll just test
60 out with the config-files to see if an upgrade of them will make my
61 problems go away ..
62
63 Christian
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list