From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:17:12
1 On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 06:34:46PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 02:16:51PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
3 >
4 > > Considering our default configuration ships sshd (an argument we don't
5 > > need to rehash here), it seems a bit silly to not ship networking
6 > > support by default. I'd rather not do it as part of the system set,
7 > > though that would be consistent with what we're doing with ssh, and it
8 > > is still override-able.
9 > To handle the various possible cases, maybe we need a "virtual/net" as
10 > part of the system set, which can be satisfied by either oldnet or
11 > newnet or whatever. The install ISO will have a basic working network
12 > stack (IPV4+IPV6). After the initial install, the admin can do
13 > whatever. Maybe even invoke package.provided.
14
15 This would actually be cleaner than a bogus dependency in OpenRC.
16 I would probably call it virtual/network-manager though.
17
18 Are there any issues with putting together a virtual like this and
19 adding it to @system?
20
21 Thanks,
22