From: Jason Mobarak <aether@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:32:37
1 On 00:10 Sat 06 Dec , Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Bob Miller wrote: [Fri Dec 05 2003, 01:46:10PM EST]
3 > > Second, is there anything wrong with Python as an implementation
4 > > language? If you think Python is too slow, think again. On nearly
5 > > every portage operation I do, the CPU is mostly idle -- it's the disk
6 > > that's thrashing (according to gkrellm). The key to improving
7 > > portage's performance is to get it to open fewer files.
8 >
9 > Sort of. It's true that there's a lot that could be done to improve
10 > portage performance without changing languages. Nonetheless, even the
11 > smallest test shows that python has a poor startup time.
12 >
13 > $ time python -c 'print "hi"'
14 > user 0m0.023s
15 > sys 0m0.004s
16 >
17 > $ time perl -e 'print "hi\n"'
18 > user 0m0.003s
19 > sys 0m0.003s
20 [...]
21
22 I'd like to point out that that start up time is negligible -- especially since
23 type typical emerges aren't going to be hindered by a less than one half second
24 start up time. Part of the reason I am working on modularisation of portage is
25 that you don't have to pull 5000 lines of python code along with a 50 line
26 utility script.
27
28 Also, if a bash script is feeling a hit from constantly reloading the portage
29 library, it probably needs to be rewritten in python.
33 ----------Jason-A-Mobarak-~
34 -aether-at-gentoo-dot-org-~
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list