From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Announcement of The G Palmtop Environment ebuilds
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:33:58
1 Hello ladies and gentlemen,
2
3 We at -embedded would like to introduce GPE - The G Palmtop Environment.
4 <<The GPE Palmtop Environment provides a user interface environment for
5 palmtop/handheld computers running the GNU/Linux or any other UNIX-like
6 operating system.>>
7
8 GPE is currently under active development, being version 2.8 already
9 very usable providing a modern mobile desktop environment.
10
11 We currently provide an eclass and ebuilds arranged by top level
12 categories following upstream categorization. Explicitly gpe.eclass and
13 top level gpe-base gpe-net gpe-pim gpe-games gpe-utils gpe-media
14 gpe-xsession.
15 We know we have a lot of them but upstream finds useful to classify them
16 like that and so do we. With the running discussion at -dev about new
17 top level categorization models and tagging system, maybe a better
18 solution is found.
19
20 The eclass and some ebuilds were based on bugzie #101393. We started
21 playing with them as big flat gpe-base category which evolved over time
22 by means of consecutive testing on ARMv5 handheld devices and needs.
23
24 Since we are maintaining this over half a year now, we think that its
25 time to finally starting moving step-by-step the GPE suite into the
26 portage tree - starting with the eclass and toplevel categories.
27
28 Sincerely,
29 /me in the name of the embedded team.
30 --
31 Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
32 Gentoo Linux ARM/OMAP850 Developer
33 at Gentoo Embedded