From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] New policy: 'files' directory must not be larger than 32 KiB
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 20:33:58
1 On 12/17/17 19:39, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Hello, everyone.
4 >>
5 >> It's my pleasure to announce that with a majority vote the QA team has
6 >> accepted a new policy. The accepted wording is:
7 >>
8 >> Total size of 'files' subdirectory of a package should not be larger
9 >> than 32 KiB. If the package needs more auxiliary files, they should
10 >> be put into SRC_URI e.g. via tarballs.
11 >>
12 >> (the total size being computed as a sum of apparent file sizes)
13 >>
14 >> The relevant policy vote is finishing at bug #633758 [1]. The CI reports
15 >> [2] were updated to report packages whose 'files' directories exceed
16 >> 64 KiB, to avoid adding many new warnings at once. The limit will
17 >> be lowered down to 32 KiB as packages are fixed to comply with the new
18 >> policy.
19 >>
20 >> At the same time, I would like to explicitly remind developers that
21 >> the spirit of the policy is 'do not let "files" grow large', not 'make
22 >> sure you're one byte less than 32769.' Do not argue that your package
23 >> exceeds the limit only by few bytes -- even if it gets close to the
24 >> limit, then it means it's way too large.
25 >
26 > I just want to voice my opinion on this: as a developer, this policy
27 > is a royal pain in the ass.
28 >
29 > I would ask the council to please increase this limit to at least 100
30 > KiB, preferably more.
31 >
32 As a user I would like to ask everyone involved to stick to the 32kB
33 limit so that we (as in everyone) don't have to fetch megabytes of
34 patches we'll never use, just because someone was lazy.