From: "Justin <jlec>" <jlec@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XML Schema files for metadata.xml, projects.xml and repositories.xml, for review and testing
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 18:31:35
1 On 06/03/16 18:18, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >> We should definitely include SLOTs in the allowed syntax.
3 >
4 > Why? What's their use? In fact, does <pkg/> have any use? Because as I
5 > see it, it's just some fancy feature that could turn package name into
6 > link to packages.gentoo.org and nothing more...
9 Using SLOTs you have more precision in what you are writing. There are
10 quite a number of packages where SLOTs differ a lot, e.g. grub. So
11 clearly specifying a SLOT make sense to me.
12
13 Take this example
14
15 <use>
17 </use>
18
19 Dropping the SLOT here doesn't make sense, as the content of the package
20 with USE=grub2 won't work for grub-1.
21
22 I can assume there are a number of packages where file formats or such
23 changed between SLOTs, so it makes sense to specify it.