From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: rindeal <dev.rindeal@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, m.j.everitt@×××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Repo mirror & CI project news: 'stable' gentoo branch, new repo stats, faster CI
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 17:52:50
1 On 6 June 2016 at 05:34, rindeal <dev.rindeal@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > efore merging to master they do a rebase+force push,
3 > let the CI check it, and if it passes they're allowed to merge it. No
4 > cherry-picking involved. Master is then always clean and happy. I'm
5 > not sure how well it scales, but for the 100-150 commits/day the tree
6 > sees currently, it should be doable.
9 And then somebody else merges in the interval between you submitting
10 it, the CI check starting, and the CI check approving it (keeping in
11 mind the CI run is ~10 minutes long), but what merged breaks your
12 commit and the CI didn't see it?
13
14 Now what?
15
16 Or does everyone have to form an orderly queue where they wait for the CI ?
17
18 That' maxes out at 144 pushes / day.
19
20 This is not the kernel where we have a clean release cycle we can
21 target and sit on patch series for a week or more while we polish it,
22 and we don't have an avalanche of "this is good, it lands in this
23 release".
24
25 This is pretty much one of the big limitations of "Shared push"
26 patterns in that their workflow and "unified branching" workflows
27 contradict each other in lots of ways.
30 Kent
31
32 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL