From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Jon Ellis <jje@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The SIMD debacle
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:17:48
1 On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 08:46, Jon Ellis wrote:
2 > Can someone explain the sse / 3dnow! situation to me?
3 >
4 > My understanding is that most modern intel and amd chips supprt sse,
5 > but only amd support 3dnow! Is this correct? Why would someone with a
6 > pentium 4 box have 3dnow in their use flags?
7
8 Pentium 3 - sse
9 Pentium 4 - sse/sse2
10 Athlon - 3dnow
11 AthlonXP - 3dnow/sse
12
13 > Does anyone point me a ebuilds that correctly handle this stuff? It
14 > would be most useful to understand how protect users from themselves
15 > and reduce the number 'invalid instruction' bugs filed against
16 > libvorbis!
17
18 If you need some help with this ebuild, I'll gladly help, since I think
19 I might have been the one that caused you all the headache in the first
20 place.
23 > Thanks
24 >
25 > j.