From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A new glep: Ebuild format and metadata handling
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 00:53:02
1 On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 > glep55: See GLEP55. To summarize: The eapi is put into the file name so
5 > that the package manager knows the EAPI (and thus how to handle this file
6 > format). While it simplifies the eapi discovery this comes at a high price
7 > as there is no reliable way to find and validate all ebuilds. It also
8 > enforces some minor limitations, for example EAPI needs to be unique and
9 > cannot be overridden by eclasses. Some people also see it as bad design as
10 > it exposes file internals in the filename.
13 Okay, this has been bothering me....sorry if this is a sort of silly
14 question, but why not just use the (already extant) metadata.xml for
15 the...err, metadata about a package?
16
17 In any case, I'm strongly opposed to the idea of encoding any more metadata
18 into the filename than is strictly necessary to uniquely identify the file.
19 As both a software developer and a user, please do not do this.
20
21 Regards,
22 Wyatt