From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] interactive packages?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:08:20
1 pbg1854@×××××××××××××××.edu wrote:
2
3 > Ok...
4 >
5 > How about we make an option to ebuild that makes the build process
6 > interactive. We could make that option set a variable in the ebuild
7 > script, which we would then check during the individual steps in the
8 > process.. for example,
9 >
10 > if [ "${INTERACTIVE}" ]; then
11 > make menuconfig
12 > else
13 > cp "${FILESDIR}/config-${KV}" ${WORKDIR}/linux/.config
14 > yes "" | make oldconfig
15 > fi
16
17 Thats what I ment by the USE variable method.
20 > Then you could run ebuild -i merge or something like that.
23 We do not use flags for ebuild at the moment. Maybe in future
26 > A few notes:
27 > I like using make oldconfig, because it automatically takes care of
28 > autoconf.h, and version.h for you, and makes sure everything is
29 > configured right. I'd use yes "" | make oldconfig in the
30 > non-interactive version, that way if there are any variables missing
31 > in the .config file, they will get the default value.
32
33 That sounds good. I think I saw that option last week in some magazine.
37 > I also thought it would be a good idea if the kernels were installed
38 > with a suffix determining the version of the kernel,
39 > i.e. bzImage-2.4.0 rather than just bzImage; that way multiple kernels
40 > can be installed at the same time. I like to do this, especially when
41 > installing a new kernel, in case the new one won't boot or has some
42 > kind of bug in it, I can go back to the old one. Then you could merge
43 > the new kernel, reboot, and unmerge the old one after you're satisfied
44 > the new one works.
45
46 But what if you configure manual and have different kernels of the same version?
50 > If you want, I'll try to modify the ebuild script to add interactive
51 > building support, and work on a sample kernel ebuild. Adding
52 > interactive support shouldn't require any modifications in the
53 > packages, I'm pretty sure.
54 >
55 > Oh... and one more thing... I'm having problems w/ the make check
56 > stage while building glibc-2.2.1. I'm trying to figure out why right
57 > now. It just says "Timed out" or something like that. I'll give you
58 > more info after I run make check again.
59
60 Hmm, sounds like LFS <-> low latency problem. I saw that over here once but at
61 that time
62 I had a lot of parallel build processes running.
67 achim~
70 > Pete
71 >