From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CAcert certificate distribution license to third parties (i.e. distributors like gentoo)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:13:28
1 On 12/13/2009 02:49 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 10:44:05PM +1100, Daniel Black wrote:
3 >> Recently this got produced as a draft license for parties distributing
4 >> CAcert's root certificate(s) (like us).
5 >> https://svn.cacert.org/CAcert/Policies/Agreements/3PVDisclaimerAndLicence.html
6 > That's a pretty dense license. I can see why you had a headache.
7 >
8 > I believe that in it's current form, we will have to make sure we have a
9 > liability disclaimer to users for the license, but that should be about
10 > it.
13 First, I am not a lawyer.
14
15 The 3PV license does require that the user be presented with:
16 http://www.cacert.org/policy/NRPDisclaimerAndLicence.php
17
18 I'm not sure that simply posting the link in an einfo would satisfy the
19 requirements. We might need to post the full text to qualify as having
20 presented it to the user - not sure about that. I don't see anything in
21 there that requires interaction though (hitting a yes button or anything
22 like that).
23
24 The license itself is fairly short - we only need to post the NRP and
25 not the 3PV license. The 3PV is a license for Gentoo to distribute
26 content to users under the NRP. Users who don't redistribute the key
27 don't need to worry about it.
28
29 An option would be to RESTRICT=mirror their root key, and install it
30 directly from their site, assuming they don't start messing with the
31 URL. Then we can just put the license in the ebuild like any other.
32 Since we don't redistribute anything copyrighted, Gentoo itself doesn't
33 enter into any license agreement.
34
35 Only issue with that is that it is often bundled with a bunch of others
36 and I don't know that you can restrict only one URL in the ebuild.