From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:40:35
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Alternatives:
3 >
4 > - as PPC we provide a default cflags & use tuned per certain cpu
5 > families using profiles, amd64 could provide a nocona profile that bans
6 > 3dnow* useflags.
7
8 Not really. There are athlon64s and opterons with and without sse3 support. The
9 users who have an sse3-enabled CPU mostly stick -msse3 into their CFLAGS, as
10 they expect the flag to do what it says. The problem is even worse for x86:
11 You'd have to provide own profiles for:
12
13 * i386
14 * pentium-mmx,k6
15 * athlon xp,pentium3
16 * pentium4,athlon64/opteron (starting from 'Paris' core),celeron (starting from
17 'willamette' core)
18 * celeron D/M, core solo/duo,core 2 duo, core 2 extreme,athlon64 (starting from
19 venice stepping E3 or san diego stepping E4), athlon64 X2, athlon64 FX (starting
20 from san diego stepping E4), sempron (starting from palermo stepping E3),
21 pentium4 (starting from 'prescott')
22 etc...
23
24 and now you want to let your pentium4(paris)-server, which is running 24/7,
25 compile a binpkg for your pentium4(prescott), using SSE3
26
27 have fun 8-)
28
29 > - as before but provide an eclass that uses flameeyes infrastructure to
30 > warn about possible mismatch between what the cflags could do and what
31 > you expect to obtain eg: -mcpu=nocona use 3dnow would issue a warning
32 > and disable it
33
34 I'm not sure whether I understand this correctly. If we use flameeyes logic
35 anyway, why keeping the use flags?
38 Kind Regards,
39
40 Simon Stelling