From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub-2 configuration
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 14:26:35
1 On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:46:29 +1300
3 > Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 22:34:11 -0500
6 >> William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > You don't have to use grub-mkconfig. You can write /boot/grub/grub.cfg
9 >> > by hand if you want, and it appears that the syntax is documented in the
10 >> > grub info pages.
11 >> >
12 >> > William
13 >>
14 >> Just saying, it would be really nice to have some documented example cases
15 >> ship with grub-2, like it did with grub:0
16 >>
17 >> grub-2 via qlist grub | grep -i conf
18 >>
19 >> Its pretty clear which of these we're getting pushed to use.
22 > There does however exist a /usr/portage/sys-boot/grub/files/grub.conf.gentoo on my system,
23 > It just has to be
24 >
25 > a) Updated to stay relevant
26 > b) Placed in a place I expect to find it
27 > c) Be referenced in the grub-2 post-install messages or at very least, more prevalent in
28 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
29 >
30 > Because encouraging everyone to use it the way that has clearly seen
31 > resistance in gentoo doesn't seem to be helping.
32 >
33 > Though I do see the documentation is better than it was when I
34 > switched, the message that you can use a simpler configuration scheme
35 > is not prevalent enough for people to be noticing it.
36
37 I have added an example grub.cfg to the gentoo repository.
38
39 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=ec629c23a6e8cf6c18fa51d69ae11932c7ada3cc
40
41 Please feel free to commit any obvious improvements or corrections. If
42 you have a common scenario you would like to see added, feel free to
43 ping me about it.