From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new eclass: go-live.eclass for handling go live ebuilds
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 19:13:03
1 On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 09:34:42AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 12:54:45AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On 04 Jun 2015 14:10, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > > # @MAINTAINER:
5 > > > # William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
6 > > > # @BLURB: Eclass for fetching and unpacking go repositories.
8 > > > # This eclass is written to ease the maintenance of live ebuilds
9 > > > # of software written in the Go programming language.
10 > >
11 > > this should note the ebuild is responsible for depending on the right vcs
12 > > packages. e.g. if you use git, then you need to depend on git.
13 >
14 > Since "go get" fetches $EGO_PN and its dependencies, there is no way an
15 > ebuild author could get this right without reading all of the import
16 > statements in the source for their package and all of its dependencies.
17 > I don't really want to ask ebuild authors to keep up with all of that.
18 >
19 > > although ...
20 > >
21 > > > # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: EGO_PN
22 > > > # @REQUIRED
24 > > > # This is the import path for the go package. Please emerge dev-lang/go
25 > > > # and read "go help importpath" for syntax.
26 > > > #
27 > > > # Example:
28 > > > # @CODE
29 > > > # EGO_PN="github.com/user/project"
30 > > > # @CODE
31 > >
32 > > can't we automate some of the common hosts ? if it says github, we know it's
33 > > going to be using at least git.
34 >
35 > I'm seeing two options. I can either let users emerge the vcs's they
36 > need if something breaks or pull in all vcs's go supports.
37 >
38 > Which way is best?
39
40 The more I think about this, I don't want to DEPEND on any vcs's and it
41 is not reasonable to ask developers to do so in their go vcs ebuilds for
42 the reason I stated above.
43
44 Since these are live ebuilds, I think we can assume more about the users
45 that use them and not require the vcs's as runtime dependencies.
46
47 William