From: Anupam Kapoor <anupam.kapoor@×××××.com>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bad COUNTERS file. please help !!!
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:58:18
1 On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:37:14 +0200, Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 12 October 2004 08:53, Anupam Kapoor wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:19:08 -0400, Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > > > > do you still think that i need to do an emerge -e world ?
6 > > >
7 > > > Yes... Deleting things is what broke it the first time...
8 > > > Why would deleting more things "help"?
9 > >
10 > > maybe the script tries to recreate the lost files ? i didn't look at
11 > > the script, so this is all speculation.
12 >
13 > There is no way in which the script can recreate the lost files as you
14 > just have removed portages record of those files. This means you now have
15 > orphan files. This is actually close to what Nick (THE PORTAGE
16 > MAINTAINER) suggested, except that Nick's approach is safe as it actually
17 > keeps the records.
18 ok. thanks for your input, i am emerging everything now.
19
20 can you please explain to me what 'COUNTER' really means in context of
21 portage database ? if there is documentation already, can you please
22 point me to it ?
23
24 thank you
25 kind regards
26 anupam
30 > Paul
31 >
32 > --
33 > Paul de Vrieze
34 > Gentoo Developer
35 > Mail: pauldv@g.o
36 > Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net
39 if you need gmail invites, let me know !
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list