From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2005.1 profile gives devfs as virtual
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:11:45
1 050904 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> I actually have
4 >> /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1
5 >> So when I enter 'emerge -Cp devfsd', why do I get :
6 >> "!!! Trying to unmerge package(s) in system profile. 'sys-fs/devfsd'
7 >> !!! This could be damaging to your system"
8 > Most likely, you're seeing this because the 'system' target contains
9 > 'virtual/dev-manager' (defined in /usr/portage/profiles/base/).
10 > devfsd satisfies this dependency (as well as udev).
11 > Portage apparently isn't smart enough to notice
12 > that there's another package installed that satisfies this dependency.
13 > You can safely unmerge devfsd if you have udev installed and working.
14
15 Yes, someone provided a very clear explanation to my parallel query
16 & yes, Devfsd's ebuild does have a similar 'PROVIDE' line to Joe's.
17
18 As you say, Portage lacks intelligence here:
19 it needs to be educated to check for other packages
20 or in the meantime make a less forthright warning.
21
22 Thanx for your explanation, which is what I really wanted.
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list