From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to stop using 'cjk' USE flag.
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:43:25
1 On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:49:20 -0400 (EDT)
2 Weeve <weeve@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 2) Make a variable LANG (in make.conf or rc.conf) and set it equal to
5 > the language wanted.
6
7 I see this variable more as a list of languages (other than
8 english which would be default), by order of preference.
9
10 It would be useful for several things:
11 - as you've said, it would make possible to apply language-specific
12 patches
13 - some ebuilds could also have language-specific dependencies, like the
14 i18n packages for kde (we could also add "app-i18n/manpages-lang" as a
15 conditional dependency to "sys-apps/man-pages", etc.)
16 - it would also be a more explicit way to choose the language at
17 compile time for packages such as openoffice
18 - it would allow ebuild "einfo" internationalisation
19
20 The problem is that a new bash function should be provided by ebuild.sh
21 to easily make some "switch to the best matching language" case-like
22 constructs in ebuilds, but I don't think it is that difficult.
25 TGL.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list