From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:10:17
1 On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 09:36, Daniel Armyr wrote:
2 > > I imagine something usable will crop up, if enough people are
3 > > dissatisfied with the status quo.
4 >
5 > If the status quoe is that no Linux distro will include any version of XFree beyond 4.3, yeah a few of us will be mildly unsatisfied. To say the least.
6 >
7 One of the most important things to realize in this is the importance of
8 what the developers do. For instance, if distros just roll over and
9 accept the possible license problems, then users wont get upset with
10 xfree. If users don't get upset with xfree86.org, then we will have the
11 same stagnant development we have always had. On the other hand, if we
12 developers (and the distros) make a stink, it will upset users. Upset
13 users will either force xfree86 to change its ways, or will cause
14 forks. Forks create competition, and both competition and pressure from
15 users will create better innovation, which means a better X for users.
16 THEREFORE: Get mad all you want, just make sure you point the
17 frustration at Xfree86. That will result in a better linux GUI
18 experience for us all!
19
20 Nathaniel