From: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage through SSH
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:32:16
1 On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:07:38 +0200
2 John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> wrote:
3
4 > Could one implement all packagemanagement emerge does through ssh
5 > (scp)?
6 >
7 > I would like to be able to use this command:
8 >
9 > emerge -u world server.mydomain.com
10 >
11 > where world, make.conf and other settings would be read from the
12 > server however the portage tree would be local so only one computer
13 > needs emerge sync, and packages would be crosscompiled for the server
14 > and then copied through ssh to the server.
15 >
16 > "emerge -u sendmail *.mydomain.com" =)
17 >
18 > This way I could spare my poor 486 from compiling duties.
19
20 The cross-compilation is not possible now (maybe with some hackish
21 scripts, but not "out of the box"), however you can share the portage
22 tree over NFS, so you only need one copy. And of course you can run
23 emerge over ssh, so "ssh root@yourbox emerge -upv world" should work.
24 And if you don't want to keep the ssh session open all the time use
25 "screen".
26
27 Marius
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list