From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 02:24:08
1 Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have already submitted my application, but want to advertise it over here
5 > too :] Comments are welcome!
6 >
7 > Summary:
8 > Create Python bindings, associated documentation and test cases for the
9 > Paludis public API, and allow subclassing of Paludis classes using Python.
10 >
11 > Detailed description:
12 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~peper/soc/application.txt
15 We should not have third-party projects be part of SOC -- specifically,
16 things that are not Gentoo projects. I'd lobby this whether it was
17 pkgcore or paludis being proposed, so don't bother trying to pin
18 partisan accusations. Point is, it's not a Gentoo project. PMS, portage
19 tests, or doing a gentoo.org rewrite -- those are Gentoo projects by any
20 reasonable standards, I should think.
21
22 I'm very strongly against using Gentoo SoC time and resources for things
23 that are not officially part of Gentoo (yes, this statement could be
24 spun however you wish) or are not official Gentoo projects. And no, just
25 because a project has Gentoo developers in it doesn't mean that it's a
26 Gentoo project -- let's avoid the gray areas now, shall we? Just because
27 we have Gentoo devs who are also Gnome upstream doesn't make their
28 Gnome-related packages that happen to be in our tree official Gentoo
29 projects.
30
31 No third-party non-Gentoo SoC projects leeching off our organization and
32 resources, please. This includes third-party package managers and
33 third-party packages. You want free work, go get it via some other
34 entity, not our SoC.