From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: The Age of the Universe
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:56:31
1 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> posted 44F991D7.9060905@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 02 Sep 2006 16:14:47 +0200:
3
4 > Edgar Hucek wrote:
5 >> I know my tools but not necessarly the normal user who wanna use gentoo
6 >> and is ending frustrated.
7 >
8 > If the users are too lazy to read the documentation, why should we care
9 > about them?
10
11 Exactly.
12
13 To such a "normal user", unwilling to invest the very real time and energy
14 into learning about Gentoo and how to customize it to his wishes, most if
15 not all Gentoo devs will be happy to recommend Ubuntu or whatever. Ubuntu
16 is by all reports a very respectable distribution, arguably one of the
17 most user friendly yet powerful out there. (Linspire/Freespire's probably
18 the most user friendly, disregarding power.)
19
20 Let Gentoo do what Gentoo does best, cater to those that /like/ that
21 customizability, even, perhaps /because/ of, the challenge of mastering
22 the machine and bending it to our will. There are plenty of other
23 distributions out there for those that are more interested in just having
24 it work, with as little knowledge and effort invested on their part as
25 possible.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list