From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] apache and ~arch
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:21:16
1 On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:08:42 +0100 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Marius Mauch wrote:
4 | > http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/hollow/2005/03/14/apache_dithering
5 | > "... and users using testing may not complain if things break."
6 | >
7 | > That's the real problem.
8 |
9 | They *should* complain, constructively, on a bugreport, stating the
10 | issue and how they could resolve it. If people wouldn't be allowed to
11 | reply to ~arch bugs, then why do we have ~arch?
12
13 We have ~arch for things that aren't well tested but aren't believed to
14 be broken. So, some midpoint is needed on the ~arch being broken thing.
15 On the one hand, it's not suitable for running on production kit, so
16 complaints about things which aren't known to be broken being added to
17 ~arch aren't particularly viable. On the other hand, constructive useful
18 bug reports about breakages in ~arch that the maintainer doesn't know
19 about *are* useful, since they'll let the maintainer know that the
20 package isn't ready to go stable.
21
22 Probably easiest to think of ~arch as meaning "candidate for arch after
23 more testing".
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm