From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal to move use.local.desc somewhere in /var
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:51:50
1 On Wednesday 25 April 2012 02:26:19 Steven J Long wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > Paul Varner wrote:
4 > >> Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 > >> > Why are we keeping it? I move that we remove it. It's been replaced
6 > >> > by USE flags in metadata.xml for several years now.
7 > >>
8 > >> euse from gentoolkit still uses it since it is written in bash and XML
9 > >> parsing in bash can be problematic. We really need to get euse
10 > >> rewritten in python so it can use the portage and gentoolkit API's
11 > >> before we get rid of the file.
12 > >
13 > > it's also a bit of a speed issue. i often want to look at what flags get
14 > > used
15 > > across the tree. what's faster: loading + parsing 15000 xml files, or
17 > > is probably fine, but i'm not sure dropping it completely is an
18 > > improvement.
19 >
20 > Agreed. I don't think it's a good idea to lose the ability to script
21 > against the tree from bash.
22
23 technically, you can script with xml files just fine from bash. install app-
24 text/xmlstarlet and use the `xml` tool.
25 -mike