From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:26:26
1 On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:02:51 -0400
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3 > I've written a GLEP which outlines a standard for what information
4 > should be stored by any package management systems (PMS)
5 > in /var/db/pkg (VDB) and mandates some API for exporting it to other
6 > tools [1].
7
8 The problem isn't what the information is. It's the format.
9
10 > The need to do so was discussed in the Council during the
11 > 20130910 meeting [2]. During that meeting, the council focused on
12 > NEEDED.ELF.2 which is recorded by portage, but not paludis. Linkage
13 > information is generated during package builds, is expensive to
14 > recalculate and is needed by other packages like revdep-pax for PaX
15 > marking ELF objects.
16
17 This isn't relevant to ebuilds.
18
19 > I've aimed to make the GLEP open to how each PMS team wants to
20 > implement this without being too vague. We should also consider
21 > carefully the list of items we want cached although we could always
22 > update this list later.
23
24 This isn't a specification...
27 Ciaran McCreesh