From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Requiring gentoo.git committers to use their @gentoo.org address
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 03:53:55
1 On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 10:40:22 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > We currently don't enforce any particular standard for e-mail addresses
7 > for developers committing to gentoo.git. FWICS, the majority of
8 > developers is using their @gentoo.org e-mail addresses. However, a few
9 > developers are using some other addresses.
10 >
11 > Using non-@g.o e-mail addresses generally causes problems
12 > in accounting for commits. For example, our retirement scripts can't
13 > detect commits made using non-Gentoo e-mail address. My dev-timeline
14 > scripts [1] account for all emails in LDAP (which doesn't cover all
15 > addresses developers use). FWIK gkeys accounts for all addresses
16 > in the OpenPGP key UIDs. In my opinion, that's a lot of hoops to jump
17 > through to workaround bad practice.
18 >
19 > Therefore, I'd like to start enforcing (at the level of the hook
20 > verifying signatures) that all commits made to gentoo.git (and other
21 > repositories requiring dev signatures) are made using @gentoo.org e-mail
22 > address (for committer field).
23 >
24 > Is anyone opposed to that? Does anyone know of a valid reason to use
25 > non-@g.o address when committing?
26 >
27 > [1]:https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/dev-timeline.html
30 There's one fun problem here technologically for proxy-maint, but
31 getting the conditions right for it to occur happen very rarely.
32
33 1. Assume the proxied maintainer has a git repo, where they commit
34 themselves.
35
36 2. Assume their proxy has said git repo as an alternative remote, for
37 which they relay work. ( That is, they work closely together directly
38 instead of via github pull requests and textual patches )
39
40 3. ::gentoo is quiet, and the proxied maintainer has rebased their own
41 work on top of ::gentoo, setting Committer: metadata and signing
42 commits.
43
44 Then, in that situation, it is trivial for the proxy to relay those
45 commits verbatim to ::gentoo, without changing either Committer: or
46 signature data.
47
48 Standard git tools will not attempt to even *change* these commits even
49 with an explicit rebase, because Git will detect that nothing needs to
50 change, and will no-op the rebase, leaving Committer and Signatures
51 intact, degrading to a fast-forward merge.
52
53 It seems like it would happen not-very-often, but ...
54
55 git log --show-signature --format=fuller --committer=".*@\([^g]\|g[^e]\)"
56
57 Well, the last example happened in 2017, so maybe something happened
58 *since* then that prevented this situation occurring via other means?
59 *shrug*
62 commit 76eb43412b532a045d92d524dfa5ed1b1bcca671
63 Author: Michael Mair-Keimberger <m.mairkeimberger@×××××.com>
64 AuthorDate: 2017-10-02 02:47:28 +1300
65 Commit: Michael Mair-Keimberger <m.mairkeimberger@×××××.com>
66 CommitDate: 2017-10-10 07:45:09 +1300
67
68 To the best of my knowledge, Michael isn't a Gentoo Dev.