From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few modest suggestions regarding tree size
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:17:47
1 maillog: 14/10/2004-15:49:17(+0100): Ciaran McCreesh types
2 > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:43:11 -0700 Mark Dierolf <mark@×××.com> wrote:
3 > | I've been watching this discussion as far as tree size, and i'm
4 > | suprised nobody has brought the idea of on-demand downloading yet.
5 >
6 > Nobody has mentioned it because it has been discussed and dismissed as
7 > unworkable several times before.
8
9 I am not really a fan of these on-demand downloads, but I am just
10 brainstorming here:
11
12 Why not sync the metadata directory only? Then use the information in
13 there to check what packages are needed to emerge something. The
14 metadata is only 9MB and it has everything that's needed to calculate
15 the dependencies, right? It also contains the SRC_URI, so ebuild
16 downloads and source file downloads can go in parallel or something.
19 \/ Georgi Georgiev \/ Enemies strengthen you; allies weaken. -- \/
20 /\ chutz@×××.net /\ EMPEROR ELROOD IX, Deathbed Insights /\
21 \/ +81(90)6266-1163 \/ \/