From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:14:43
1 Hi Luis,
2
3 On 3/23/06, Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o> wrote:
4 > I agree with the wiki because it seems to be an easy way to users and
5 > developers comunicate together and work. Like i said a few months ago
6 > the documentation won't give any problems to GDP since GDP provides high
7 > level docs. The wiki will also help our projects since it can be added
8 > TODO's, roadmaps and all that stuff. About the overlay the best way imo
9 > is provide a unique overlay with external contribs maintained by users
10 > and devs (of course commit rights only for devs.).
11
12 Every team will have their own preference on how to get the most out
13 of an overlay. No-one's required to use an overlay, and no-one's
14 required to give out access to non-devs if they don't want to. It'll
15 be okay for different teams to have different practices for their
16 overlays.
17
18 I believe the overlay team's job is to provide the capability, clearly
19 communicate what isn't allowed, provide technical documentation and
20 some examples of practices already in use ... and then get out of your
21 way.
22
23 Best regards,
24 Stu