From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:53:44
1 > On Feb 17, 2016, at 7:43 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:41:33 +0100
4 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Alexis Ballier schrieb:
7 >>>>> If it's just that, it's not limited to udev, but anything using
8 >>>>> kdbus/bus1, and would mean openrc/${favorite init system} will have
9 >>>>> to do the same thing anyway. But again, almost 2 years is extremely
10 >>>>> old considering all the flux that has been around kbus.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> OpenRC itself can for now just ignore kdbus, bus1, or whatever kernel
13 >>>> IPC system comes next.
14 >>>
15 >>> Well, as Lennart wrote it, kbus would have needed some initialisation.
16 >>> Just like we have a dbus init script, openrc would have a kdbus one.
17 >>>
18 >>>> But if upstream udev makes use of the systemd
19 >>>> userspace interface to the kernel IPC system, then OpenRC would have
20 >>>> to implement the same interface in order to have working udev.
21 >>>
22 >>> As I understand it, a kernel IPC doesn't need systemd to work. udev
23 >>> might use wrappers from libsystemd, or libbus1, just like we have
24 >>> programs using libv4l or libbluetooth currently.
25 >>
26 >> In a follow-up, upstream wrote about how you should only run udev together
27 >> with systemd, and if you don't want to do that (spelling as in original):
28 >>
29 >> "we will not support the udev-on-netlink case anymore. I see three options:
30 >> a) fork things, b) live with systemd, c) if hate systemd that much, but
31 >> love udev so much, then implement an alternative userspace for kdbus to
32 >> do initialiuzation/policy/activation."
33 >> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019664.html
34 >>
35 >> So it seems a bit more than only initialization is needed.
36 >
37 > You're missing the third option which is a sane option, and jump
38 > straight to pitchforks.
39 >
40 > As I see it, *if* this becomes a necessity, we're quite like are going
41 > to provide KDBUS parts of systemd the way we provide udev parts right
42 > now. After all, libsystemd-bus will be useful to more applications.
43 >
44 > Of course, someone may want to fork that into libebus just for the sake
45 > of renaming.
46 >
47 > And after all, as it has already been noted, there are people
48 > interested in maintaining non-systemd userspace for KDBUS. Which is
49 > kinda the obvious choice, unlike forking something.
50
51 kdbus is dead. It is fatally flawed and Greg is no longer trying to get it merged as he is not updating his branch for newer kernel versions. If I recall correctly, kdbus was also removed from Fedora and has no distribution backing it anymore.