From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:21:35
1 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> posted
2 1151529396.2774.25.camel@×××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Wed,
3 28 Jun 2006 17:16:35 -0400:
4
5 > After all, we're still "shipping" 1.2 ISO images under /historical, and I
6 > can guarantee you that the source code for all of this stuff isn't
7 > available from us.
8 >
9 > We will need to work on compliance ourselves with this, before the FSF
10 > comes knocking on our door.
11
12 Good point. Do note, however, that Gentoo is in better shape here than
13 most, since only the actual binaries on the CD are at issue. That's far
14 less source to worry about than most distributions, with /everything/ as
15 binary, must worry about.
16
17 We /do/ need to worry about the packages CDs, however. That's a lot of
18 source to manage there, and I'd say much more likely to be at risk than
19 the mostly fairly core (and therefore likely still widely available
20 sources, tho we /will/ need to ensure we make the sources available
21 ourselves) stuff on the LiveCD itself.
22
23 For that reason, I'd suggest ceasing to distribute the packages CD ISOs 30
24 days after the next release is available, thereby limiting at least the
25 general source requirements of the packages CD to a narrower timeslot,
26 even if the far more limited source requirements of the LiveCD are allowed
27 to continue somewhat longer, I'd suggest 30 days after the /second/
28 release.
29
30 As for the sources themselves, the mirrors should hopefully have the
31 current versions, at least. Whether we keep previous LiveCD (and packages
32 CD if we continue to distribute it) sources on-mirror or on an archive
33 repository setup for the purpose could be debated, tho I'd suggest the
34 archive repository, so the mirrors don't have to carry it.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list