From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About XFCE, renames, eclass, etc
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 01:12:11
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > [. . .]
3
4 Thanks for the message, Jeremy; it's informative and appreciated!
5
6 > - xfce-config.xml: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml Josh
7 > (nightmorph) updated this, basically an after thought by us so thanks Josh!
8 >
9 > - xfce4-meta : former name xfce-base/xfce4. Renamed to reflect reality.
10 > This meta package is the *core* of XFCE, it *only* has in it what is
11 > required to run. Thus, returning XFCE to a minimalistic status in Gentoo
12 > Linux. This is desired because most XFCE users are looking for a
13 > lightweight WM, not a heavy DE. So, users will have to add a terminal,
14 > orage, thunar, etc to the world file instead of relying on a meta package.
15
16 I made sure to mention this in the Xfce guide after finding all this out
17 on my own . . . "the hard way." :) Take a look at emerge -p --depclean
18 output and go over the world file to see what's up on your system, using
19 emerge --noreplace foo to add stuff back in. And be sure to re-read the
20 Xfce guide if you're wondering which packages should prolly be kept.
21 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml)