From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass and $CONFIG_CHECK
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:41:57
1 On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 10:46 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 September 2005 19:52, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:47 +0100, John Mylchreest wrote:
4 > > > anyways). After much deliberation I feel the actual best way to deal
5 > > > with this, is to have an override envvar which will bypass a die, and
6 > > > simply warn instead. This will mean that those people who
7 > > > cross-compile regularly, or building stages etc will work fine, and
8 > > > normal operation would continue to refuse a build if the environment
9 > > > its building for doesn't seem sane. At the end of the day, the true
10 > > > root cause of
11 > >
12 > > This will not work. Anything environment-wise used to build the stages
13 > > makes its way *into* the stages. The stages are just builds within a
14 > > chroot. If I disable it for stage building, then it'll be disabled for
15 > > anyone that uses those stages by default.
16 > >
17 > > The best solution is still a separate check that only throws a warning
18 > > state, as having a die on the check *is* valid for packages that
19 > > require a kernel to compile. Also, there's no way in stage building to
20 > > use a particular environment for only one package, so it would have to
21 > > be enabled globally. Not something good for packages that really *do*
22 > > require kernel sources to be present and configured.
23 >
24 > Of course this is kind of up to the portage developers, but wouldn't it
25 > make sense to allow an ebuild to know that it was building a binary
26 > package or with a ROOT environment. In the case of a binary package
27 > building these checks could then be postponed to pre_install.
28
29 That would still bomb out release building, as we install the binpkg
30 immediately before starting the next package.
31
32 So far, the *only* solution that doesn't break release building is
33 another check that is non-fatal.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
38 Games - Developer