From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc service script dependency checker
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:13:19
1 On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 22:53:38 +0400 Alexander V Vershilov wrote:
2 > Let me state my idea here.
3 >
4 > At first I want to mention that author provided 2 different approaches to
5 > the solution, simple dependency loop checker and another more complicated
6 > algorithm that is a loop breaker.
7
8 No, unfortunately you get it wrong. Both earlyloopsolver and
9 laterloopsolver break loops and optionally warn users about found
10 issues. And they are not alternatives, but complements to each
11 other:
12
13 Early loop solvers works during dependencies cache generation, but
14 it can't solve issues where all dependencies in a loop are hard
15 ("need" in terms of OpenRC). While later loop solver handles hard
16 dependencies at run-time.
17
18 More details are available in my another mail in this thread:
19 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/93968
20
21 > I think that on a boot phase in case of parallel boot rc should try to
22 > check if loop exists and it is then print a warning and switch to a
23 > sequential boot.
24
25 In case of a hard loop this will fix nothing: there is no way to
26 determine a correct order of sequential boot in case of a all
27 "need" hard loop. Anyway I don't see how switch to sequential boot
28 may fix anything, because this doesn't solve order determination
29 problem at all.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Andrew Savchenko