From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:58:52
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 03:55:23PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Did he file a bug for this? We have been working on them.
5 >>>
6 >> Nope. He's a ghost Gentoo user. I don't think he is subscribed to any
7 >> mailing list or the forums. He just searches for clues and docs.
8 >>
9 > Can you please data-capture that bug and file it for him then.
10 >
11 > We really need to hear about hidden bugs like this.
15 He has been talking to someone but no clue who. I'm not even sure it is
16 a dev or anything. I think to have a bug, there has to be something
17 first. I think his point was, once you get sort of advanced with the
18 new openrc networking, there is little docs to follow. Me, I use DHCP
19 and it "just works" for me. Thank goodness for that.
20
21 >> I have to say, the docs seem to be lacking on updates. I think it is a
22 >> lack of manpower so my hats off to the few, maybe even one, that is
23 >> working hard to do what is done. I wish I could help more. I'm
24 >> disabled and have more time than most to do it but the xml thingy is
25 >> Greek to me.
26 >>
27 > Write plaintext (or wiki markup), adding the XML is a fairly trivial
28 > transform.
32 That is good to know. May have to poke my head in the door on -doc
33 then. Maybe this old fart can do something after all. ;-)
34
35 >> Some things are more important and some may not be such a huge deal
36 >> but networking is something that about every computer has to have and
37 >> some setups are complicated and need to have good docs to back those
38 >> people up.
39 >>
40 > I've got some very complex network setups that I have documented and
41 > supported. My homedir has several of them from my own experience:
42 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~robbat2/conf.d-net/
43 > Includes dual-homing, multi-homing, and HE.net IPv6 tunnels.
44 > I wrote a lot of the original bonding, vlan, mac-changer, bridging code
45 > in BL1.
46 >
47 > Better documentation on how to set up the complex network configs would
48 > be great, but the net.example is too long already.
52 I passed the link on to him. I'll let you know if it helps. If he
53 comes up with anything that can be added to the docs, I'll post them on
54 -doc. Maybe someone can take it from there.
55
56 Sometimes docs can be to long but I have always found this to be
57 useful. Have a simple setup first then follow that with the complicated
58 stuff and let it get more complicated as it goes deeper down. That
59 helps the simple setups quickly but still provides needed info for folks
60 with the complicated setups. I wish some things were longer sometimes.
61 USE descriptions is one of those at times.
62
63 Thanks.
64
65 Dale