From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: remove php4 from depend.php and others
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:46:32
1 On 07/11/2010 07:37 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
4 >> Simply put, the council's purpose is not to say "oh we have to stop
5 >> development and have a 4 week debate about everything minor". The
6 >> council's purpose is to help decide between different technical
7 >> solutions and encourage people to move forward on one unified path.
8 >> The council's purpose is not to HINDER development as your responses
9 >> clearly suggest you would like to hinder eclass development but
10 >> instead to promote positive development.
13 Original rules (as they were when I joined 2005):
14
15 You are only allowed to add to the public API of an eclass.
16
17 Eclass removal addition:
18
19 Since then council has approved the ability to fully remove eclasses:
20 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20090528-summary.txt
21
22 Under discussion:
23
24 Extend the rules to allow developers to remove functions from the API of
25 an eclass. To me this seem exactly like: "The council's purpose is to
26 help decide between different technical solutions and encourage people
27 to move forward on one unified path."
30 > About the issue in discussion, Petteri was recalling that contrary to
31 > what anyone new to Gentoo might conclude from the current discussion,
32 > the issue of eclass deprecation has been subject to at least 2 separate
33 > discussions in the past 2 or 3 years and that in the last round there
34 > was a proposal for setting minimal deprecation time frames.
37 There's already an approved process for eclass removal (see link above).
38 If we allow removal of functions I think there should a similar set of
39 rules as for eclass and package removal.
40
41 Regards,
42 Petteri