From: Ian Delaney <idella4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.5 is in, Python 3.3 deprecation
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 03:25:50
1 On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 10:11:48 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > Python 3.5 has been added to ~arch this morning. Please feel free to
7 > test and add python3_5 to PYTHON_COMPAT as appropriate.
8 >
9 > Also, to keep the number of supported implementations manageable, I
10 > would like to deprecate Python 3.3. This means that it should not be
11 > added to PYTHON_COMPAT in new packages. Does anyone object to this, or
12 > have some reason we should keep it as "supported"?
13 >
14 > See the wiki for the current status of python implementations.
15 >
16 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations
19 Frankly Mike I don't follow the rush behind trying to deprecate 3.3.
20 I'd have thought let py3.5 bed in some then take on the task of 3.3,
21 however I suppose it wouldn't hurt. Though "should not be added to
22 PYTHON_COMPAT in new packages" should be fine.
23
24 I take it here you're only talking about skipping over py3.3 from this
25 point. Adding support to 3.5 systemically would be another topic.
28 kind regards
29
30 Ian Delaney