From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Auto adding packages to world was -> Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 00:05:49
1 On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:32:27 -0700
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > I understand where you're coming from, I just thought to give a few
5 > tips to make life a bit easier for you since it works out pretty well
6 > for myself. I think your idea has merit, just unsure of where the
7 > functionality goes, since I'm not a Portage developer.
8
9 I have been using the -1 option myself for some time. I have also moved
10 away from having anything in world file. I have my own profiles and
11 such. Just not committed to my public overlay yet.
12
13 This is mostly for others. I do what ever I need directly for myself if
14 it really becomes an issue for me. But I appreciate the thought!
15
16 > I think the hard part of implementing this will be detecting whether a
17 > command-line-given package is (a) in a set/profile/world and (b) part
18 > of a dependency tree (i.e. shouldn't be removed).
19
20 I do not think it will be that complex. It already does this now for
21 system, world, and set files. It must be looking at files already.
22 Having it look at say /var/lib/world is just another file/location.
23
24 > -c already traverses the dependency tree. This one message may mean
25 > iterating through the list of candidate packages and comparing them
26 > against a set/profile/world *per package*, unless the vdb/cache makes
27 > this lookup cheap in terms of cycles. The message would be helpful,
28 > though again, eix-test-obsolete might be the right tool to build that
29 > feature into. I'd be interested in following the bug discussion, if
30 > you've already filed it.
31
32 The looking at say world file is more an issue for -C than -c. -c knows
33 there are deps. Thus all it needs is an additional minimal message. It
34 already says to see deps use -v. It just does not say, why it took no
35 action. But actually now that I looked at -c, it is completely wrong.
36
37 I should have caught that sooner. -c does not remove a package, it just
38 removes its deps.
39
40 -c == --depclean.
41
42 It is not the same as -C, which is remove a package directly.
43
44 --unmerge (-C)
45
46 Not even sure why anyone suggested -c. That explains why I use -C and
47 not -c, but I do use --depclean. This whole thread and topic really got
48 sidetracked big time with -c vs -C.
49
50 -c should never be mentioned. I was about to file a bug when I noticed
51 such.
52
53 emerge -c gcc, would never remove gcc, only run depclean
54 emerge -C will remove gcc
55
56 > If you're really interested in the message from -C, it could be done
57 > by checking the argument list for packages in sets or profiles. But
58 > it's going to incur similar overhead that -c has because it
59 > necessarily has to check some sort of list before producing the
60 > message.
61
62 Yes this is just about -C, and as stated previously. Other stuff
63 already hits files, this is not different really.
64
65 > I do not think this message belongs in -C output, however; -C is
66 > intentionally meant for operations where you don't care what happens
67 > to the dependency tree
68
69 Not true, as I have shown, -C will warn on removing system, world, and
70 set packages.
71
72 -C will NOT worn on dependencies, which it should. Using the world file
73 and others to know if a package is a dep or in one of those files.
74
75 > Please don't interpret this e-mail as aggressive or dismissive. I'm
76 > simply trying to offer explanation and guidance to help you make this
77 > happen. It's clear that you care about it, so I'm sure there's a way
78 > for this to go forward.
79
80 I do not, long as it is not insulting which it does not contain
81 anything of the sort. Though the discussion or mention of -c/--depclean
82 is really off topic. That confused and side tracked things.
85 William L. Thomson Jr.