From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:43:13
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:10:38AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:

> Hmm, maybe we should introduce a new USE flag to trigger build of packages with only > the really neccesary stuff.
I think an easier way would be to create a "sys-strip" script which would do things like: rm -rf /usr/doc rm -rf /usr/info, etc. I don't think many people will need this functionality, and I'd rather not complicate our existing ebuilds just to allow the creation of a 100Mb Gentoo Linux system. I just bought a 45Gb IBM hard drive for about $130 about a month ago... and there are plenty of used 2-6Gb drives that people are willing to give away these days. I think reducing the footprint of Gentoo Linux *may* become a priority if we can link some things to a minimal libc, reducing the executable footprint and allowing more code to reside in the CPU cache. This is a performance issue rather than a pure storage issue, however. I'd be supportive of a special USE variable to enable a tiny libc. :) Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO Gentoo Technologies, Inc.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends (Achim Gottinger)