From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:43:13
1 On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:10:38AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > Hmm, maybe we should introduce a new USE flag to trigger build of packages with only
4 > the really neccesary stuff.
5
6 I think an easier way would be to create a "sys-strip" script which would do things like:
7
8 rm -rf /usr/doc
9 rm -rf /usr/info,
10 etc.
11
12 I don't think many people will need this functionality, and I'd rather not
13 complicate our existing ebuilds just to allow the creation of a 100Mb Gentoo
14 Linux system. I just bought a 45Gb IBM hard drive for about $130 about a month
15 ago... and there are plenty of used 2-6Gb drives that people are willing to
16 give away these days.
17
18 I think reducing the footprint of Gentoo Linux *may* become a priority if we
19 can link some things to a minimal libc, reducing the executable footprint and
20 allowing more code to reside in the CPU cache. This is a performance issue
21 rather than a pure storage issue, however. I'd be supportive of a special USE
22 variable to enable a tiny libc. :)
23
24 Best Regards,
27 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>