From: joe.derosa.b1@×××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Install success with rev3
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:45:16
1 I have successfully re-installed both of my test systems.
2 System 1
3 Asus CUVX4D clone with dual coppermines, I also got alsa and devfs working
4 (which I have had major troubles with in the past) x, kde etc.
5 Compaq Proliant 800 with dual pentium-pro and sym53c8xx SCSI controller.
6
7 Only notes,
8 fstab still has a missing '/' for the boot entry.
9 I am still getting the broken pipe error on installing the kernel package (even
10 with swap on) on both systems although the error seems to be purely cosmetic.
11
12 The desktop configuration guide is awesome, VERY helpful in the alsa config.
13
14 Hopefully, later today I will take a crack at some IBM Netfinity's with
15 ServerRaid controllers.
16
17 "Why I love gentoo linux"
18 I have been using linux since the 1.2 kernel days, I have used slackware mostly,
19 but have fiddled with rh and some others I was just about to start fiddling with
20 lfs, when I stumbled across gentoo on the sunsite distributions page, and I have
21 to say, that was a lucky stumble for me. Having used linux for so many years and
22 unix prior to that, I have learned to get around most problems, but the whole
23 gentoo experience, has been a real eye opener, I not only got everything
24 working, but I actually know what I did to get it working!! I can do a base
25 system in about 30 minutes if the computer is fast enough and the system doesn't
26 end up with a gigabyte of useless crap that I don't need.
27
28 Great job dev-team !!!
29
30 Joe DeRosa