From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 00:02:08
1 On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:02:48 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > We might be talking past each other. Sane but minimal is the target.
5 >
6 > Bottom line is that the question isn't whether a minimal system should
7 > have CUPS installed (that would be an argument for putting it in
8 > @system - ugh!). The question is whether a minimal/base system should
9 > have the cups USE-flag enabled for packages that actually use it.
10 >
11 > And cups is just an example - maybe not a good one. I just want to
12 > make sure we're not just dropping flags left and right that everybody
13 > and their uncle will either re-enable, or won't notice them being
14 > removed anyway.
15
16 I understand that enabling flags only affects packages if they’re
17 installed. I’m just saying that, in my opinion, sane-but-minimal should
18 have CUPS disabled because there are plenty of computers that would
19 want LibreOffice and/or Chromium installed but not have a printer. They
20 need not be servers if the target is simply sane-but-minimal.
21
22 Chris